The Gift ship at the Wexner Center for the Arts by Jerome M. Scott Architects
Gift Shop • Wexner Center for the Arts • The Ohio State University • Columbus, Ohio • Peter Eisenmann & Richard Trott • Jerome M. Scott Architects
This 108,000-sq.ft., three-story building was originally designed by Peter Eisenman and Richard Trott, the Wexner Center for the Arts originally in 1983. This was the first major public building designed by Mr. Eisenman. The design included a large, white medial gid meant to suggest scaffolding to give the building a sense of incompleteness in tune with the architect’s deconstructivist tastes. The grid work also resembles the mismatched street grids of OSU’s campus and the city of COlumbus itself. Also, the brick turrets of the building make reference to the medieval-like armory building that occupied the site until 1958. In 2005, a renovation occurred that in addition to the building envelope, the scope of renovation includes HVAC, lighting, electrical, plumbing, fire protection systems. The renovation works had a minimum impact on the original architectural design while improving environmental, daylight and climate control. With the restoration of the center as a whole, the bookstore, film and video theater, and café sections were all revamped, equipment and layout-wise.